Monday, December 22, 2008

insta-friends

So I was supposed to be on a 1030AM Megabus from Chicago to Detroit. It's now 140PM and I'm still waiting. And sadly, there are people still waiting for their 830AM bus. And the worst part is that the Megabus doesn't have a station, so we're all just standing outside in the cold - the negative-20-degree-windy-Chicago-cold. I don't think I can feel my toes anymore. There are probably about 200 people waiting here on the street to go to about 8 different cities. We've been taking shifts waiting outside and warming up in Happy Village, the little Indian take out place across the street. To ensure no one misses their bus (even though there hasn't been a bus in hours) we have created very distinct signals for each of the cities, so the people waiting outside can alert those of us inside. Ann Arbor/Detroit is a karate chop/kick combo because, well, Detroit is pretty bad ass. Seriously. No one has any information on what's going on with the buses, the bus company has stopped answering our calls and the Megabus people here, bless their hearts, are just trying to prevent a riot. To pass the time, we've started to concoct elaborate reasons for 8 buses and counting to go missing. The theory with the most support so far involves a bus heist at the bus depot. I won't go into the details, but it gets pretty messy.

I do, however, love how unfortunate circumstances breed insta-friends. All my new insta-friends and I are bonded by the fact that we will probably all have to have at least a few fingers and toes removed due to frostbite, but it's fine because we can all hang out and be frostbitten freaks together. Awww...

Hopefully I make it home today. I think I must be pushing my travel luck - all those trips with no lost luggage, no delayed flights, no missed connections - the travel gods have been good to me so far. Let's hope Mexico City and Megabus are just two flukes in my tradition of good travel fortune!

No comments: