Wednesday, February 25, 2009

hippies galore

Today I had a jam packed day at the University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign and it was a happy reminder of why it's one of my fav campuses to visit.

I had meetings with the usual peeps this morning - I've been working for the past 6 months or so with the pre-med curriculum developer on building a semester at our Belize site into their undergrad curriculum, which has been quite an undertaking. I also went to the Green Career Fair this afternoon, which was a career fair for organizations and companies that encourage and live by sustainable practices. While I was there, I met two kids who were on the board for an organization called Students for Environmental Concerns and it just so happened that they were having a Green Action Night today and they were like, "Hey, you should totally come by." Obviously, I had to since I got the invite.

I did the norm info session for students after the fair, blah blah blah, but then I wandered over to this Green Action Night. It was all the student and community organizations who had anything to do with sustainability on some level - faculty members, university initiative reps, student groups, etc. It was an awesome group of people that they had assembled - about 200 people came and went - and we all just mingled, ate delicious home made veggie chilli and hummus, and shared information on our programs, different opportunities that are out there, different ways to integrate them into university curriculum, and just what was going on in the world. It was such a fun night full of hippies, young and old.

So yay for hippies! I'm off to Indiana University tomorrow (not nearly as cool) and then Cincinnati for a weekend conference and a visit with Suzi, Adam, and the babe. I can't wait!

P.S. - I'm officially international again for 2 months begining end of March...where, I'm not sure yet...Mexico most likely, but I'm negotiating Thailand, so we'll see how it goes! =)

No comments: