Saturday, June 6, 2009

crazy travel story #7910

It started with a storm. I was in Florida for a conference for the past few days and it stormed the entire time. I had a 3PM flight out today, flying through Houston and on to Cancun to begin my beach week.

First, the storms in Orlando caused my flight out to be delayed by 2 hours. By the time we got to Houston, I had missed my connecting flight, but they put me on the next flight to Cancun. After making my way to my new gate, they immediately announced that they were heavily overbooked and were offering a $300 travel voucher, first class upgrade, free hotel and 2 free meals for anyone who volunteered to fly tomorrow.

Since I really don't have anywhere to be anytime soon other than on a beach somewhere in Mexico, I figured I'd be generous and give up my seat on the plane. I went up to the counter, and turns out they were having a lot of trouble getting 7 people to switch their tickets, so they were offering $500 travel vouchers. Not a bad deal. I took it, happily.

After collecting my new boarding pass (first class boarding pass), I made my way to the hotel shuttle. I'm staying at the Double Tree, which is pretty swank. Not only am I staying at the Double Tree, but I'm staying at a suite at the Double Tree. When I tried to check-in, the only non-smoking room they had available was a suite, so, due to my asthma and general disdain for the way smoke-y rooms smell, I was upgraded to the suite.

All that, and I'll still be lying on the beaches of Tulum by noon tomorrow. I seriously wonder when the travel gods are going to realize they've been treating me a little too good. It worries me a little.

So now I just have to figure out what to do with my $500 travel voucher and try not to get too used to flying first class. Thailand? Ireland? Brazil? Or I could save it up for my flights to India? Blow it on my Austin tickets in October for Austin City Limits? Who knows. But I like it.

Peace from Houston.

No comments: