Wednesday, June 17, 2009

dear oaxaca...

Dear Oaxaca,

Our time was short....too short, really. I hope to someday return to rekindle our love affair, but I'm not sure when that will be, as my life right now is somewhat unpredictable. Though I only knew you a few short months, my love for you is strong.

I will miss so much about you: your delicious food - mangoes and Pechote sushi and quesillo and endless stacks of tortillas; how you can tell when I am tiring of your heat and you respond with a cool thunderstorm; your amazing art, whether displayed in galleries or sprayed on the side of buildings for all to see; the people who, no matter what their opinions, good, bad, right, wrong, voice those opinions openly; your beautiful beaches and mountains and hot springs and jungles. You really are everything a girl could ask for.
You introduced me to so many things and people as well: Kacki and Augustin and Lloyda of ProMexico; salsa dancing Ney; Julio, the surfing wonder; my partner in Mexican crime Kate; crazy Nacho, Blanca, Kayla, Josiel and Osmar; Lindsay and the handful of other travelers who passed through Oaxaca and became part of my little circle. Sigh, I miss them already.

And even though I'm returning to an old and familiar love known as Chicago, know that I will always hold a special place in my heart for you and that I will be thinking of you while I'm gone.

Much love forever and always.

E

No comments: