Wednesday, June 18, 2008

life. crazy times.

The other night I went to a get together with a bunch of "ex-pats." Some were tour guides, others worked in/owned restaurants and bars, some were long-term volunteers, and Kenny and I were representing the community development and international education sector. There was a heavy US and UK presence, with people from Boston, Vermont, Michigan (me), Scotland and England; there was an Aussie, a South African, a German and a Peruvian. Everyone had somehow found their way to Peru and made their life in Cusco.

It was such an awesome hodge podge of people and it vaguely reminded me of my student co-op experience in E.Lansing - a strange mix of slightly strange people all thrown together to make their own little family unit. I forgot what a great feeling it is to find a "family" like that. It seems to get harder and harder to find the further I get away from college. It also reminded me of the movie L'Auberge Espagnole. Good stuff. Love it. Sigh.

I'm going to miss my life here in Peru. Little by little, I am getting more emotional about leaving. I wish I'd had more time to spend with people, more time to explore, more time to do a lot of things. Maybe one day I'll wander back down as a tourist and take my time with everything.

As sad as I am to go, I'm equally as amped for the next 5 months of my life - Chicago, Florida, New Orleans, DC, Baltimore, NYC, California and a move to Mexico in October. How can I not be excited for that? Honestly. Life. Crazy times.

No comments: