Monday, June 30, 2008

summer in the chi!

I've been a busy bee since landing in Chicago last week!  I went through a week of training for the National Youth Leadership Forum on Medicine (I'm a faculty advisor...faculty advisor = teacher of high school students interested in the field of medicine).  The first conference started on Sunday and it's been CRAZY.  I won't go into too much detail, but my 8 days back so far have included:
  • Meeting all my awesome colleagues at NYLF Chicago...
  • Seeing STEVIE WONDER live in concert for FREE! (amazing show, by the way...perfect weather and he played for 2 hours and Jesse Jackson was there and the people watching was better than I've seen in a really long time)...
  • Hanging out with old Chicago friends and hitting all my favorite old spots...
  • Learning as much about medicine and teaching in one week as I possibly can...
  • Meeting 402 high school students from all over the country...
  • Hot yoga hot yoga hot yoga...
  • Adjusting to life in the dorms (again!)...
  • Remembering what it's like to SHOWER everyday...
  • Eating AMAZING food...I missed sushi soooooooooo much....
  • Downloading new music and trading music with my co-workers...
  • Hanging out in the Bat Cave...
  • Drinking adult beverages...
  • Playing WA!...
It's amazing being back and this conference is pretty fantabulous.  Exhausting, but fantabulous.  My days go from 7AM - 1130PM and some days we start even earlier.  (Tomorrow we're heading to Madison to see UW's medical school...bus boarding is 550AM...)  Anyway, it's interesting to be hanging out with all the students and attempting to teach them about a field that I know nothing about.  My goals are currently to a.)  Not loose/kill any of my students; and 2.)  Not cause any mental damage/harm to any of my students.  So wish me luck!

On that note, I am heading to my plastic twin bed so that I'm not the one showing up late for bus boarding tomorrow morning.  I'll try to write more later.  Night all!

No comments: