Wednesday, July 30, 2008

peace out, jacksonville!

Only four days and five more airports before I am HOME! I'm so excited. I don't think I've ever been more excited to get back to Trenton in my life! But it will be some NORMALCY for a few days, which I am in desperate need of at this point.

Jacksonville was an interesting experience. There just was not a lot going on. As our farewell tonight, we all went to the "international dinner" which consisted of about 15 or so of the community advisors (like RAs in the apartments here) bringing an international dish out to the picnic table in the courtyard. By international dish, I mean someone made mini pizzas for Italy and 7 layer dip for Mexico, etc. Hilarious. And delicious. Afterwards we barged into an apartment equipped with a television to watch SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE. I heart that show so much. If I ever move back to the states, I am definitely taking more dance classes. :)

In about 7 hours, I'm heading off to the airport, flying back to Charlotte, NC and then to New Orleans for the Golden Key International Conference. It's at a kick ass Hilton Hotel right downtown, so I'm pretty excited, especially considering I've been sleeping on either a plastic mattress at UIC or the couch at JU for the past 5 weeks! I was looking at the hotel online and they have a rooftop pool, tennis courts, squash courts, a full fitness center and basketball courts. Amazing. Kate and I put together a pretty decent presentation for our workshop on international internships. The facilitation skills I learned at the NYLF thing definitely helped me out in the planning portion, which is fabulous. AND I found out the other day that we will be provided with FLIP CHARTS in our workshop room. (During the NYLF training, we spent a lot of time working on the art of flip charts, so I'm pretty much a professional flip chart-er). I'll only be there for a few days, but I'm psyched to see the city and Saturday we're doing a service project, so it'll be a fun few days.

So farewell, Jacksonville. I doubt we will ever meet again. Peace. Out.

No comments: