Friday, April 24, 2009

agua agua SUPER agua

So this is going on day 3 of no agua in the OAX. It's getting pretty rough. 3 days is not a long time, but imagine going 3 days in 80+ weather with no showers...no washing your hands...no flushing your toilet...no washing your dishes...no brushing your teeth...it's fair to say that I'm a pretty dirty bird right now.

Today I finally washed my face and brushed my teeth with the last of our drinking water in the apartment. We're getting on in a mini van in T-minus 5 minutes to go on a 5 hour ride to the beach, and I figured it would not be pleasant if I didn't upgrade my hygiene a bit. After lathering on the deoderant, I think it should be bearable (hopefully).

Apparently, the water situation in the OAX is not good during dry season. Wet season doesn't start until the end of May, so we're in for a rough few weeks. I knew you had to buy your drinking water...some guy comes around every morning with a truck full of water jugs screaming "AGUA...AGUA....SUPER AGUA!" and you run out and get as much as you need for 16 pesos a jug (about $1.30 - $2.00 depending on the exchange rate).

What I'm learning, though, is that most of the city does not run on ground water. Buildings all have water tanks, which they have to pay to have filled up. This is the water that is used in the sinks, in the toilets, in the shower. When it's geting low, you have to call the water guys and they come with a giant truck to fill her up. However, during the dry season, when the water supply is limited, the government puts holds on the water tanks, and thus, no water.

Kacki, the ProMexico site director, says that they should have it fixed by Tuesday, when I get back from the beach. I'm sending good thoughts to the water gods that maybe there will be a slight rainful this weekend so that I can shower when I get back.

So, the moral of the story - be grateful for your flushing toilets.

Peace.

No comments: