Tuesday, April 28, 2009

fun stuff first...and playa mazunte is f.u.n.

I know there's a lot of panic going on around the swine flu business, but I didn't want to neglect the new love of my life...

I headed to Playa Mazunte on Friday afternoon with some friends. We took a 6 hour mini-van ride to Pochutla, and then a 30 minute cab ride to the beach, where we eventually found a 3-bed, 2 hammock cabana to call our own.
For as beautiful as it was, I was amazed at how deserted it is. Wikipedia says there's about 700 people there, but I'm pretty sure we were 5 of maybe 20 people that were populating Mazunte this past weekend. The beach was beautiful - Mazunte, with it's Punta Cometa, is the southern most tip of Mexico, so aside from perfect water and sand, it had the best sunsets ever.Basically we spent 3 days sitting on the beach, playing in the water, searching for giant sea turtles and drinking agua de coco (literally just slicing the top off a coconut, poking a hole in it, and sticking a straw in). My co-workers Kate, Keith and I ran sunrise beach yoga sessions every morning, and every night we'd go to this amazing place owned by a Colombian ex-pat, his Mexican wife, and their little girl. The place was amazing, situated on the side of the cliff to overlook Punta Cometa. It was completely open air (for the best views) with solar panels to run the place and it's beautiful refrigerator full of Bohemia and the makings of delicious family-style dinners. We would head up there at dusk, eat dinner with the little family and watch the sun set over the cliffs. It was amazing and I wish I could live there forever.P.S. - If you're ever planning a trip, here is the cabanas owned by the Colombian/Mexican fam.
P.P.S. - More fotos on Flickr

No comments: